Friday, August 17, 2018

Band wagon

If EVER there was a more apt phrase to etimpise the news about Aretha this week it would be 'bandwagon'. Back in the day, a bandwagon was a device that took musicians and circus folk all around the counties, enabling them to showcase their creative skills. I'm jumping firmly on that shiz!

I grew up in a household led by a musician. Music, melody and artistry is subjective. But I did learn from an early age that good music was to be appreciated. In the 80s our entertainment was vinyl and my dad's collection was extensive - from Pink Floyd to Mozart. I'm forever grateful.

The news that Aretha Franklin has passed [to an arguably better side] has nudged many people's curiosity, not least my own. I asked Siri (modern day Oracle) to play me her songs. For two days I've had her sweet, amazing, soulful voice coursing through my sound-waves at home. But here's what is evident early on - many of Aretha's vocals are recordings of other artists' songs, namely Ottis Reading, Gloria Ganor, Marvin Gaye. I've even heard a fucking-fantastic version of Adele's 'Rolling in the Deep', a kid from Tottenham witnessed a goddess singing her melody and lyrics. Beyonce should be eternally grateful for Aretha's nod to Survivor and I just hope Prince heard her 'Nothing compares to you' in the most jazziest jazz style ever.

So I guess what I'm getting at is this: no matter your talent, your calling, your autonomy, you will always learn from others. We can all take tunes from others' lives and experiences and make them our own. Anyone's who's read about myeloma will be familiar with the word 'individual'. And it's true; each patient feels their experience very differently from others. Different regimes, blood counts and sarcomas separate each patient from the next. Therefore, we all run our race. A brutal marathon that takes courage and acceptance. My husband has both in abundance.

We secured ferry tickets for France, sailing tomorrow. We're jumping on our friends' holibob, with their invitation, but we're pleased for it. We'll savour the experience, we'll be gratuitous for the opportunity and we'll enjoy it singing our own song.

Bring on The France, time to forget about chemo, scans and regimes. Fun in the sun, here we come!

'When she sings your songs, she takes them and don't give them back.' Stevie Wonder speaking about Aretha, yet articulating my sentiment about life. 


1 comment:

  1. Hello everyone , this is the most wonderful thing i have ever experienced and i need to share this great testimony... I just want to say thanks to Dr OSOFO for taking time to help me cast the spell that brings back my ex lover who suddenly lost interest in me after six month of engagement but today we are married and more happier than never before. I was truly flabbergasted and shocked when Kris started begging for forgiveness and for me to accept him back.. I am really short of words and i don't know how much to convey my appreciation to you Dr OSOFO you are a God sent to restore broken relationship. He deeply enjoy helping people achieve their desires, find true love, getting their ex lovers back, stop abusive relationships, find success, attract happiness, find soul mates and more. Contact him today, and let him show you the wonders and amazement of his Love Spell System. He deliver results at his best in real spell casting. Send an email {osofo.48hoursolutioncenter@gmail.com } WhatsApp him on: +2349065749952          

    ReplyDelete