Thursday, August 30, 2018

Numbers game

So tomorrow is a big day for us - we're back to hospital for more chemo but also for blood results which will tell us how Man has responded to his Round 1. 
Paraprotein levels measure the amount of myeloma cells in his body (as I understand it.) Normal is 0. At diagnosis Man's were at 58 which is quite high. Between us we're having a friendly wager as to where the levels are now after having had initial treatment. Indicators suggest that they've done down, ie the VRD* regime is kicking ass. I'm sure it's in the low 20s, such is my optimism, but hubby questioned "What if they've gone up?" I told him they won't! 

I've never had experience of anything cancery until this year but I'm starting to understand cancer patients' and families' fear, apprehension, anxiety at waiting for the all important results (which have to be monitored monthly now, perhaps for many years.) I'm not a numbers person but it seems that our lives, our limitations and our expectations, are now being driven by them.   
Wish us luck, thinking of you all :-) 

*VRD - Velcade, Revlimid and Dexamethasone 

No comments:

Post a Comment